Verifying an Interview Batch
Once a Batch of data entry is completed, it is ready for verification. It is recommended that the original keyer and verifier not be the same person. A log file saves all changes made during verification.
Verify Data Entry Batch
- Locate the Data Entry Control File (*.QDE).
- Double-click on the filename.
- You will now see the Data Entry Open dialog box.
- Select the correct folder from the Look in drop-down box.
- Select QDS Paper Interview Data Files (*.QPD) from the Files of type drop-down box.
- Select the appropriate QPD file from the list box.
- Select the Verify Prior Interviews radio button.
- Click Open.
You will now see what appears to be a blank Data Entry screen. However, if you look at the Status Bar at the bottom of the Data Entry screen, you can see details of the current record. For instance, the example below shows that we are currently verifying the second of three cases in the current Batch, that the record was fully entered, and that the Identifier is 2001.
At this point, the verifier will begin entering the case in the same manner as the original data entry operator. If any discrepancies are detected (i.e., the verifier does not key the same value as the original keyer), the Data Entry program will beep and—depending on the Build Option settings—display an error message.
At this point, the verifier must reenter the value for the disputed item. If the second entry by the verifier:
- Matches the original value keyed by data entry operator, that value will be written out to the Data File.
- Matches the original value keyed by the verifier, that value will be written out to the Data File.
- Does not match either original entry, the verifier will be required to enter the value again. This process will continue until the same value has been entered twice in a row.
- Initial Value Keyed 1
- Value Keyed by Verifier 1
- Prompt? No
- Action Accept 1 as correct value
- Initial Value Keyed 1
- Value Keyed by Verifier 2
- Prompt? Yes
- Action requires second input from verifier.
- Verifier inputs 1: 1 is accepted as the correct value.
- Verifier inputs 2: 2 is accepted as the correct value.
- Verifier inputs some other value: Require third entry. Repeat until the same value has been entered twice consecutively.
As with partially completed data entry interviews, you may also complete a partially verified interview at a later time. See Completing a Partially Completed Interview.