Under Options|Build ACASI Appearance, you can refine settings related to the appearance of the screen.
Tip: These settings apply to every item in the questionnaire. When necessary, font size settings may be overridden by QDS in order to fit an entire set of response set buttons on the screen. To change Space for Questions or Shape of Standard Buttons for specific Data Elements, use Format Element, Size settings.
- Space for Questions: Use this box to set the portion of the screen that will be used to display question text. During the interview, each question will be displayed in a box at the top of the screen. The size of the box can be overridden by resetting options on the Format Element, Size tab. The white box shows the portion of the screen that will be devoted to the question box. Use the left mouse button to drag and resize the box.
- Shape of Standard Buttons: Throughout an automated interview, navigation and special code buttons are permanently displayed along the right edge of the screen. These include buttons for responses Don’t Know, Not Applicable, etc. These buttons will be the same size. The program determines the height of the buttons based on screen height. The button displayed indicates the approximate height-to-width ratio for the buttons. Use your left mouse button to drag and resize the button. The shape can be overriden by Format Element, Size tab settings.
- Font for question text: Displays font size and type. Select the Change button to set the font name, size, and script for question text.
- Font for information text: Select the Change button to set the font name, size, and script for information text.
- Font for response text: Select the Change button to set the font name, size, and style for text and numeric input, static labels on screen, message text for edit elements, and text for error messages. Response data in summary reports also uses this font setting.
- Font for probe text: Select the Change button to set the font name, size, and script for probe text.
- Focus rectangle displacement: It is standard practice to show that a button has the focus (i.e., is currently active) by drawing a dotted rectangle inside the button’s border. For picture buttons, you must supply a separate bitmap for the focus state. The focus rectangle may be included as part of the bitmap or can be drawn by QDS. To have QDS draw the rectangle, enter the number of pixels to offset the focus rectangle from the outside edge of the button. Enter 0 (zero) if you do not want QDS to draw the focus rectangle (default = 5).
- Insert letter codes (check box): Check this box to add “A)”, “B)”, “C)” etc. labels to response buttons for Pick One and Check Each type questions. Uncheck this box to remove these labels. This box is checked by default.
- Key letter separator: For interviews with keyboard input, text buttons may include a letter code that can be keyed to select the button. This "key letter" precedes the normal text for the button. Indicate text you would like to insert between the key letter and the button text. The default is a right parenthesis.
- Show Question Numbers: Check to display question numbers on the screen (default is unchecked).
- Using translated format: This check box is only enabled when you check the “Show question numbers” box. If checked, ACASI displays question numbers using the translated question number prefix and suffix, if any were supplied. If not checked, ACASI will display question numbers using the standard prefix and suffix used for all languages.
- Append “Choose one” phrase if pck one question: Check to have phrase automatically appended to each Pick One response type following the question text on the ACASI screen.
- Append “Check all that apply” phrase if check each question: Check to have phrase automatically appended to each Check Each response type following the question text on the ACASI screen.
- Append "Rank from first to last" phrase if ranking question: Check to have phrase automatically appended to each Ranking response type following the question text on the ACASI screen.
Tip: The append phrases can be changed via Translating System Keywords.